Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 53


Welcome! Day 53 (Sept 30) of North to Alaska

 

Quote: Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason. Jerry Seinfeld

Hoover Dam day, the day I have been looking forward to since our trip started back on Aug 9. I know I have been here many times during the last 43 years. But this is an awesome place. It was built on time within budget. It was built during the depression from 1931 to 1935. It was an architectural masterpiece. Working with the knowledge and tools of the time it was an unbelievable engineering feat. The workers were awesome. They came from all over. It was the depression they needed work and they produced. A town was erected to house the workers and sometimes their families. To watch the film of how it was built is moving. I have been to Las Vegas a few times for conventions on each trip I made my way to visit. When I lived in Arizona (Air Force) Cassie and I went just to see it and did not even visit Las Vegas. I took my girls when they were young. I took them again after they were married. I even took my in-laws. It has been about ten years since I was last there. I was looking forward to seeing it again.

We stayed in Henderson which is only about thirty minutes away.  Cassie decided to stay in the hotel and rest so I could get an early start. I left the room about 7, stopped at McDonalds and got a Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit combo with coffee and hash browns. I ate the hash browns and took the sandwich and coffee back to the room for Cassie to warm up when she awoke. I did not plan to be back until at least 11 and I would need to hurry to make that time. The WEB site said the first tour was at 9:30 for an hour. The parking garage would open at 8 so I planned to be there soon after. This would give me time to look around on top before the tour started. I also wanted to be in the first group of twenty for the first tour. After doing my good deed for Cassie I headed out and was there at 8. Actually I was the third person in line. I was surprised with the lack of people. But took my camera and headed across the bridge taking pictures as I went. I checked, the ticket booth did not open until 9 so I had a little time to explore before I needed to be in line. I kept a watchful eye on the traffic so I was ready to take the down escalator toward the ticket entrance when I saw people heading that way. I saw a few busses drive across the top of the dam turn around and drive back. No one got off so just site seers. Once the bypass bridge was built the road going up the hill on the Arizona side was closed. About 8:30 I went to the ticket door, still locked. There were about 12 people in line so I got in line. I though I sure was lucky to come on a Monday, no people. By the time the door opened there were about 30 people in line. But I was not worried since some of the people were taking the power plant tour and a few others were just going to the visitors’ center, cost 8 dollars just to do that. So I was feeling good until the metal detector stopped me. I took everything out of my pockets, still I was blocked. I was wearing shorts so the guard noticed my scar and ask if I had knee replacement surgery. Of course I had last November, so he used the wand and I was permitted to enter. I approached the ticket lady, she asked if I wanted the Power Plant Tour or Visitors center, I said I wanted the Dam Tour, she replied there is no Dam Tour today. I said I will take the Visitors center do I get to see the movie there she replied the movie is only on the Dam Tour which is not today. I later found out the Dam Tour is very infrequent because of staffing. Only once during last month and that was for a special group. They are having trouble hiring people. I did look at some things in the Visitors center and was able to get to a better observation deck for a few pictures. I was back at the motel by 10:20, Cassie was surprised. I told her there was not a Dam Tour so I just came back.

I loaded the car and we headed out. After a stop at Sams for water, our forth 48 bottle case, and diet coke, we got back on I15 and headed to Hurricane, UT.

As you can see a very disappointing day. Tomorrow more curvy roads as we head thru canyon lands.
View from top of dam

Old elevator used during my early visits

Memorial

Bypass Bridge

Backside of Dam

River flowing from dam

Lake Mead
 

No comments:

Post a Comment