Sunday, September 15, 2013

Day 35


Welcome! Day 35 (Sept 12) of North to Alaska

 

Quote: “There are two ways to get rich…You can make more or you can require less” Red Dirt Shirt

Today we travelled to Lake Louise about 30 miles from Glennallen.

Cassie was feeling much better today as we are taking the road which has a lot of dots on the AAA Map. She still has a cough but that too seems to be getting better.

We had breakfast as late as we could at the hotel. We then packed up and headed out. Cassie wanted some Advil so we stopped at the Walgreens before taking a back road to Palmer which put us on the Glenn Highway heading toward Glennallen. I had intended to stop in Palmer and top off my gas tank. I had enough to get to Glennallen but I had read Glennallen had very high gas prices as they were not close to any other towns. Glennallen is about 160 miles from Palmer. All of a sudden we were out of Palmer and no more gas stations, so I decided to find out if what I had read was true. It was, I paid 4.81 in Glennallen as opposed to 4.11 in Palmer. The trip was uneventful. The scenery was great just like most of Alaska. The road was paved until we were about 17 miles for Glennallen. The last 17 miles was under construction. It was gravel with some stop and go. We ate at a family style café before heading out to the lodge at Lake Louise.  The road to the lodge was mostly paved but had the permafrost effects so it was very bumpy. At one point I thought our luggage was coming to see us in the front seat. But I gained control and we were OK.

The lodge was nice. Our room was small but big enough. The lodge only had 7 rooms but its restaurant was the only one with in many miles. The restaurant and bar were together so by 7:30 it was full. Luckily were got a table about 7. Cassie had a big wrap of chicken and cranberry while I had a hamburger steak with baked potato. Mine was great and Cassie ate most of hers so it must have been OK, didn’t sound too good to me.
On way to Glennallen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment