Saturday, August 10, 2013

Day 02


Welcome! Day2 (Aug 10) of North to Alaska

 

 

Quote “The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.Saint Augustine

 

We said goodbye to Hayes KS this morning at 8:25, an hour earlier that I expected. While Hayes is a nice town the WI-fi at the Comfort Inn frustrated me to no end. It worked, then it didn’t work, I finally gave up. Also during one of the up moments I received an email saying my Office subscription was cancelled by Microsoft. I installed it last Wednesday especially for this trip, so I spent several hours on the phone and finally got it fixed this afternoon.

 

Tonight we are in a Holiday Inn express in Casper WY. The Wi-fi works great. We had planned to stay in Cheyenne tonight but after leaving early and gaining an hour due to changing time zones. We decided to move on to Casper. This will make the long planned trip tomorrow a little shorter.

 

The trip thru KS this morning was uneventful with very little traffic. Once we got close to Denver the traffic increased to resemble some we see in our area. Outside of Denver we turned north onto I25, where we saw a couple of bad accidents. The first required a helicopter medical unit. A little later we saw the other accident on the south bound lane. The north bound lane slowed so people could see the south bound side. Several vehicles were involved. By the time we approached the accident all vehicles were loaded on to wreckers and the south bound lane were being opened. The backup on the south side was about 6 miles. I was grateful we were heading north.

 

Once we got into WY the rain started. Mostly it was light except for about a mile which was very heavy with wind. I felt the car slide sideways. But I recovered and had no other issues. Of course in WY we had almost no traffic.

Most of the terrain was plateaus with rolling hills. We did see several small herds of cattle. Also some Lamas, and an antelope and bison ranch.

 

I normally do not travel on Interstate Highways but for the first few days of this trip I am just trying to get into Canada where our journey will really start.

No comments:

Post a Comment