Monday, August 12, 2013

Day 04


Welcome! Day4 (Aug 12) of North to Alaska

 

Quote “There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

The Best Western in Shelby was great. Since we travelled so far yesterday we were in no hurry to leave this morning. We both slept late. I arose at 6:30, while Cassie got up around 8:30. I utilized the exercise room which had very nice equipment. This morning I did 30 minutes on the bike before doing several upper body exercises outlined by my former trainer. This took about 25 minutes. I then rested and read for about 45 minutes before soaking 15 minutes in the hot tub. A very good morning for me.

I then met up with Cassie and had a very good breakfast (for a hotel). We were then ready to load the car and head out.

We pulled away from the hotel at 9:55. By 10:30 we were in line at the Canadian Border. After a few minutes of telling why we were there and where we were heading we were in Canada. The speed limit was slower, max 110 KM/HR, than in the US, mostly 75 on the Interstate. The road was nice and not busy. We made good time until we reached Calgary. The GPS had us using a road that had been closed due to recent flooding.  After a couple of U-turns and some ignoring the GPS we finally got on the route we needed. The GPS finally caught up to us. Cassie of course was trying to find us on her maps. She did locate us and proudly shouted “the GPS and I agree to where we are”, I said nothing just kept driving. We arrived in Canmore about 4 PM slightly later than I expected, but early enough to do some sightseeing.

About 1 PM we stopped for lunch at an A & W. As I walked up to the counter to order the first word I heard was ‘Stay’. It took me a few moments to understand what the lady was asking, eat here or take it with you.  I replied ‘Stay’. We realized we were no longer in Texas.

Don’t fret, tomorrow I will begin attaching pictures. As we will be driving less and seeing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment