Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 16


Welcome! Day 16 (Aug 24) of North to Alaska

 


I awoke around six as I normally do. I did not look for the Resort’s exercise room, but instead looked at my sheet and did a few upper and lower body exercises. I would have never thought just stretching and bending would make me so tired. But it did. So at seven when the pool and hot tubs opened I wandered over to the pool area and showed my pass. Not many people there at seven. The indoor tubs are kept around 100 to 102 degrees warm while the Rock Pool, outdoors is between 102 and 107, it is for adults only, since it is deeper and hotter than most hot tubs. The outside temp was in the lower 40s so I stayed in the inside hot tubs. After about thirty minutes I got out of the tub and sat around the pool and read until other people began showing up. It was just too chilly to sit outside. So around eight I went back to the room and found Cassie was getting up. So we went and had a pretty good breakfast.

We returned to the room and I decided I would take a nap while Cassie read another book. First daytime nap I have had since beginning this trip. It felt good so I guess I needed it.

About 12 we decided to explore the grounds. We discovered their garden which had very large onions both red and white. Large squash and what looked like raspberries and several rows of new potatoes. We then found their greenhouse where they seem to grow all of the vegetables they use in the restaurant. The growing season is short but they do produce large quantities.

We then walked over to the reindeer pens and watched them for a while.

We had a lite lunch, grilled cheese for me and soup for Cassie. Cassie wanted some of their homemade desserts later in the day.

While Cassie had her dessert I again entered the hot tub. This time I ventured into the Rock Pool. It was warmer than the inside so I only stayed for about 15 minutes. It did feel good.

Cassie had put our name down to be awoken if the northern lights were visible during the night, about 1 AM we were awoken. We did see the lights but they were not real bright. Hopefully we will see then again either on our trip to the Arctic Circle or when we travel on the ‘Top of the World” Road in Canada on our way back.

Tomorrow we head toward Anchorage. Mountains here we come.
Rock Pool (Hot Springs)

Rock Pool 2

Geese Eating

Cassie in Garden

Reindeer

Northern Lights (Not a very good picture)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment