Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 15


Welcome! Day 15 (Aug 23) of North to Alaska

 


The old saying that 'lightning never strikes the same place twice' is probably a myth. This morning I proved that the same senior moment can be repeated. Click… Click… Click. Dora would have certainly helped. After I got a jump I went straight to the Napa store (Yes Tok has a Napa store) and purchased an emergency battery pack for jump starting a car. I can’t say it will not happen again, but I can say I am now ready if it does.

While I will not complain about the weather, it has been great for most all of our trip, today it was not. Overcast with rain throughout the entire day. I could not take many pictures of the scenery but did take a few at the end of the Alaska Highway.

Cassie had breakfast at the hotel buffet while I was attending to the automobile. I filled the car with gas and finished packing so when Cassie was done we headed north toward Fairbanks. About a 100 miles before Fairbanks we entered Delta Junction which claims to be the actual end to the Alaska Highway since the road from Delta to Fairbanks was already in place when the Alaska Highway was built back in 1942 before I was born. I did take some pictures, you can see them below. We did go on into Fairbanks and travel around town for a little while before heading out to Chena Hot Springs Resort which is on the Chena Hot Springs Road. The road is actually very good. Fifty six miles long without much on it. Once it reached Chena Hot Springs Resort the road is no more.

The word Resort makes me think of many nice things none of which I would relate to Chena Hot Springs. Cassie said the place reminds her more of church camp. Built years ago with small rooms and tiny bathrooms. Each room had two double beds with little room to walk. But for the outdoorsmans  the place has many things to offer several hiking trails, horseback riding, ATV riding, and of course the Hot Springs. And of course a large RV and camping area.

We are in the back country, no cell service and no internet. TV has only 8 channels via satellite. It does have a restaurant on site with a limited menu but provided large portions.

We are here for two nights remember Resort. Let us see what we do tomorrow.
Overcast Day Outside of Tok

End of Alaska Highway

Facts of Alaska Highway

Cross roads of America Similar to Beginning sign 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment